Friday, February 15, 2013

Contemplating Which Barbie to Get Next

 photo collection3_zpsf83a2838.jpg 

One of the hardest things in collecting anything, is figuring out what to get next!

When you have just a large amount of 'collectibles' it's hard to figure out where to start.  Usually the best way to figure this out, is to decide which 'collectable' should be the most valuable and, then of course, work you way around collecting it.

In this case, it was originally a 1988 Happy Holiday's Barbie, Mint in Box (MIB) but now has been changed to a 1994 Happy Holiday's Barbie, Festival Brunette.

This new 'goal' barbie would be the JEWEL of the collection (right next to the 1988 of course!)

So now I'm actually kind of drowning in the choices when I look around at the ones we still need.
Normally I usually start from the bottom and work my way up to collecting them all, but that can get boring so sometimes it's easier to make little 'goals' within the main goal of collecting them all.

Example, on top of collecting the 'jewel' of the collection, the first goal would be to gather at least one Happy Holidays Barbie that fell between 1990 to 1999, basically get one of each of the '90's' Barbies.  Once that goal is complete, create a new goal, until finally, you have all the goals completed, and thus, a complete set.

So that's where I'm kind of stuck at this moment.
We have collected at least one of each year from 1988 to 1998!

From here, we must move into gathering a 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010 & 2012.

Normally, I would say, that's the next goal, to gather at least one of each 2000 Barbie (including the 1999) but that seems to pose a problem all by itself!

These particular Barbies, even though they're the newer models, tend to be more expensive then any of the 1990s no matter where you look.  Why?  Because of how beautifully they were created AND who they were created by!

That makes the  hunt for these Barbies, much more difficult!
So that's where I'm stuck at the moment trying to figure out what the next 'realistic' goal should be.  As far as the Holiday Barbie world goes, grabbing all 2000 in the same month is very UNrealistic without making yourself go broke!  If you're curious to know why, check out my 'value' list and add all the NRFB prices or MIB prices together (at least just one for each year) and tell me if you have the money to just dump that out in 'one' month.


What I am thinking about, is starting to collect all the African American Barbies between 1990 to 1999 and slowly pick up a 2000s or two on the side while working on that.

Let me know what direction you would go if you were in my shoes!

Please check out my 'check list' for Holiday Barbies to see which ones I've already collected for my daughter and the 'Value' listings  of what the costs roughly fall under!


No comments:

Post a Comment